The Hotel Peninsular was inaugurated in 1876. It occupied a distinctive building in the Raval district or Barcelona, it was located in 34 Sant Pau Street. It has had several owners throughout time: in the 18th century it was the old convent of the order of the Augustinian friars (1730), in 1868 it became the Gran Fonda Restaurante Peninsular with Prudenci Bros as the main chef. Later, in 1875 it was inaugurated as Hotel Peninsular, with five Italian partners and directed by Francisco Totti of Silvestre and Co. The hotel enjoyed a reputation of luxury and excellence. In 1912 it was owned by Messrs Regàs, Badó and Maulini.